Imagine you are at a party and alcohol is flowing but you must start next morning at 06.00 to a long journey. Friends are stressing you that are you sure you don’t want to have a drink with us. It is really hard to say no for temptation and social pressure.
Unless you have rules in place.
Same situation but you are pregnant. No discussion. End of story.
Or you are having barbecue where everybody is eating delicious looking hamburger but you are not that hungry. It is a lot easier to say yes.
Other side of table is your friend who is vegan. End of discussion.
These examples show you how rules will help you avoid temptations especially in events where social pressure is high to act differently.
Imagine how much easier it is to stick to your rules than rely on temptations. You don’t need to feel social pressure. You can say in party that you are doing a Challenge for not drinking alcohol or you are taking antibiotics to avoid pressure. You will find the way if you want.
To be successful in life, like in your diet, you need to have rules in place to avoid temptations. You can set your own rules like to do your workout every morning at 06.00 and after you will eat a healthy breakfast.
Don’t dismiss the idea because you think it is too rigid. You have rules in every day. You stop at a red light. Following rules will reduce your stress and will help you to live a happier life.
Your personal rules will help you to outline acceptable behavior in your life. Your rules state what you will do and will not do. Rules will help you to make the right decisions, overcome obstacles and resist temptations.
In short, you don’t have to rely on your willpower when you have rules in place.
I will share my rules that have helped me to be more productive and live a stress free life while accomplishing multiple tasks. I am not saying these rules are right or wrong. These are my rules. Your rules are your rules. I am not always perfect and still all the time trying to find new ways to get better rules for myself. My rules are just an example to help you live the life you always wanted.
Think in the way that rules will help you to eliminate bad habits and replace them with positive routines that makes better decisions almost automatically without thinking about it. You might have some ideas in your mind but I encourage you to write it down. As you know, it is easy to forget 😉 Writing it down will help to remember and you can always update your rules.
Here are my rules:
- I go to bed and get up at the same time seven days in a week. Just when it is possible (22.00 and 06.00).
- I eat only snacks with high protein (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, grey cheese are my favourites)
- My breakfast is always smoothie.
- I will not drink alcohol at home or during the week.
- I will not buy anything that I will not want to eat or will not support my goals. (Basically I almost never buy any sweets, if I want something, I will buy and eat it right away but I don’t have it at home)
- I will do all my deep work in the morning after breakfast when I am more concentrated.
- I block time for my workouts or important tasks.
- Everything that happens to me, both good and bad, is my personal responsibility. I blame nobody else than myself. My choices, my life and I accept the consequences of my actions.
- My mission is to help as many people as possible to transform their lives.
- I will always act with honesty. The opinions of others does not matter. What matters is the number of people I can help by sharing advice and motivation.
- I will not be the person I don’t want to be. I will not gossip, be jealous, negative or give lazy emotions. I will avoid situations and environments where I don’t want to be. This is my life and I don’t care what other people think about me.
- I will keep my word, I will not accept any delays or feelings that I just don’t feel like doing it.
These rules have made happier and have eliminated stress from my life. Yes it is not always perfect but these are principles I believe and follow. .
You might understand my point or think that this guy is a loser. What a boring life. The reason why I wanted to share my list is to help you understand where you can make better decisions in your life.
Every day you will feel pressure to act in a certain way. You will make better decisions when you have clear rules for yourself. I assume you want to make better decisions with less effort, right?
Now it is about your rules. You have an idea how to create your own rules that will allow you to make fewer decisions that you will regret later.
As a result of making better choices more often than relying on your willpower, you will see that you will start to move closer to your goals and feel less frustrated.
Once you start to add rules to your life, you will have less stressful and more simple life. You don’t have to worry about what others think.